Storm and flood damage equates for a significant portion of insurance claims year on year. The average cost of a property claim for flood damage now stands at £50,000 as of 2016, increasing from £30,000 in previous years and reaching billions of pounds overall.
You cannot avoid extreme weather conditions but there are things that you can do to minimise the risk to your property and the people living in it.
If bad weather is forecast, before it arrives and when it is safe to do so:-
- Carry out a maintenance check to ensure all roof riles are securely fixed down
- Check the guttering that it is clear of debris and ensure that it is firmly attached to the building
- Secure any loose items around the grounds of your home, these could be toys, garden furniture or barbecues. In heavy winds they can be moved and cause damage to other property or worse other people.
- Check the outbuildings are secure and locked. Loose doors and windows can cause further damage and allow the elements into your buildings.
- Take a photo of your premises and property before a storm, this will make it easier to identify any damage that you have sustained
- If you are in a flood risk area check the Government Flood Information website and sign up for the free flood warning service. Move any valuable items from the ground floors upstairs.
- Keep a mobile phone with you with your insurer’s contact and policy details
Should you suffer flood or storm damage to your property follow these steps
- Make sure you are safe and do not do anything that may put you or your household at risk
- Take photos of the damage
- Inform your insurer as soon as possible
- Instruct professionals for any emergency work that can be done to make your property safe and to stop any damage getting worse. Tell your insurer and keep any receipts
- Do not throw away damaged items unless they are dangerous. Insurers may need them as part of the claims investigation and could be repaired or restored
Making sure you are correctly insured is the biggest recommendation we can make. Insuring your property and contents can be inexpensive compared to the large losses a flood or storm claim can cause. If you are uncertain about your current property insurance cover or need a quotation contact us today and we will help.