Bike Week is the biggest cycling event in the UK and more people than ever before will take part all for worthwhile charity causes.
Sadly though, according to crime data over 376,000 bicycles are stolen each year, which is roughly one every 90 seconds.
According to BikeRegister, the national cycle database, London is the most targeted city followed by Edinburgh and Oxford.
Cycleplan MD John Woosey advised “More than half of all cycle thefts in the UK occur in and around the victim’s home, most notably from gardens, passageways between houses and outbuildings such as sheds and garages.
Due to this we have put together some hints and tips for keeping your bike safe this summer.
- Buy a good sturdy lock.
- Make sure you pick a suitable location to lock your bike – Make sure its a well lit area and not in an isolated location.
- Lock your bike against something secure – Your bike is only as secure as what you’re locking it to.
- Two different locks are better than one.
- Remove any accessories which may appeal to thieves.
- Register your bike – Several companies offer bike identification and it doesn’t cost a penny. Bikeregister.com is the UK’s leading online bicycle registration initiative that is aimed at reducing bicycle theft and is used by every police force.
- Insure it – At Sharrocks we believe that there are many households up and down the country who will not have adequate insurance cover for their bikes. Contact us for a home insurance quotation and see how we can save you money.
Cyclist’s Liability Insurance
As well as protecting the value of your bike if you do have an accident out cycling and cause damage to someone’s property or even injure them the public liability cover under your home contents policy will defend you and provide cover for legal fees and any awards for damages.
If you are a professional cyclist or a serious enthusiast it would be worth checking with your home insurer that the cover they provide is still appropriate as they may restrict cover expecting you to have more specific insurance elsewhere.
If you own a bike check your home insurance policy today and if you are unsure that you are correctly insured or would like a contents insurance quotation contact us at Sharrocks on 01795 580800.