Shops and Retail Insurance

We recognise one size does not fit all and whether you are a small independent shop, a large international retailer, a beautician or salon we have the right solution tailored to your business.

Businesses are evolving day by day with new innovative approaches to increase their turnover and offer a unique customer experience. Having the correct policy to protect your customers and your business is essential so that your enterprise can grow year on year.

At Sharrocks we believe many insurance providers in the United Kingdom have not adapted to the specific demands retailers have for their insurance, and are still delivering products restricted and insufficient to fully protect their client’s business.

Shops and Retail Insurance

When considering your business insurance think about these questions.

Are you selling online?

Are you importing goods from outside the UK?

Are you organising promotional events or working outside of your business premises, other than for collecting and delivering?

Have you hired out equipment to customers?

Are you selling new innovative products?

If the answer is yes to any of these questions your insurance policy may be in urgent need of review.

Having offered business insurance since 1969, through our extensive industry experience and expansive range of insurers we know we can deliver the service and policy you require whatever the circumstance.

A retail insurance policy may include:

Public and Products Liability

Cover is designed to protect your business in the event a member of the public suffering injury or damage to their property after engaging with your business or consuming its products.

Employers Liability

Under the Employers’ Liability Regulations 1998, employers’ liability is compulsory for any individual or company with employees, labour only sub-contractors or volunteers. You are only exempt if you run your own Limited company, with yourself as the sole employee, and you own 50% or more of the issued share capital.

The policy will deliver protection against claims made against the business due to your negligence as an employer. Cover generally includes legal costs in the event of a Health & Safety Executive (HSE) investigation.

Contents / Stock

The contents of the business premises may be classified by insurers to include electronic equipment, tills, fixtures and fittings.

Stock may be separated into target stock, which may include cigarettes, alcohol, jellewery, furs and electronic equipment, and that which is not deemed to be target stock.

Often insurers will now provide seasonal increase cover automatically for stock during parts of the year when businesses are likely to have higher sums insured such as Christmas.

Buildings/ Glass

Cover to protect the structure of the building and the fittings.

It may be that the business is not responsible for insuring the building as the premises are not owned by the company however, it could be that the glass and shop front are the to be insured by the occupier.

Loss of Money

To cover loss of money from the premises, whilst in transit, and at the home of the proprietor.

Under this section of the policy assault cover may be provided which would give a payment to the policyholder in the event a member of the business is injured in an assault by violent or forcible means during their role at the business.

Deterioration of Stock

Cover for damage to perishable stock, such as food or drink caused by a breakdown in refrigeration equipment or failure of the electricity supply

Business Interruption

This is an area of the standard policy which is often misunderstood and overlooked for the more obvious areas of cover such as liability, stock and contents cover. However, should your business suffer a significant insurable loss, or indeed with some policies your major suppliers or customers, this cover will provide cover for the loss to your business’ income or gross profit.

The cover provides a sum insured (the total amount payable) and an indemnity period (the length of time the financial loss is attributable to). Often, following a significant loss, such as a flood or fire, a 12 month indemnity period will be insufficient to suitably reinstate the business, therefore it may be wiser to seek this cover to extend over 24 or even 36 months.

Goods in Transit

If your business provides a delivery service cover is available for the items whilst in transit to their location.

It may be that your business ships goods around the UK or even further afield in which case discuss this with us. Separate cargo and freight policies can be arranged if your principal insurer cannot extend cover.


Standard retailer insurance policies do not automatically cover damage caused to your premises or loss of income caused by acts of war or terrorist attacks. Those premises that are situated near government buildings, transport links or famous buildings the need maybe clearer. However, with the methodology of terrorists constantly evolving no longer are the risk of attacks focused on well-known locations.

This element of cover may be added to your existing policy or purchased individually, however with the changing world it is an emerging requirement to consider this cover.

Legal Expenses

Legal expenses insurance provides cover for legal costs incurred in defending or pursuing specified types of civil actions, such as employee contract disputes, Inland Revenue tax investigations or bad debt recovery. Cover can also be extended to include property protection, prosecution defence for employers, tenancy disputes, statutory licence protection, data protection act and prosecution.

Loss of Licence

Cover for loss of drinks licence in the event this is withdrawn due to circumstances beyond your control.

Event Equipment  Hire Insurance